Introduction to test management tools
[This section is a SAP specific extension of the section "Tooling (Devops)"]
A test management tool can support the test team in an SAP project in the following ways:
- Setting up the test strategy.
- Creating and maintaining release/ project cycle information.
- Managing (Agile) planning activities.
- Integration with open-source frameworks.
- Creating and maintaining the test artifacts (Requirements, test scenarios/ suite, test cases, anomalies) specific to each release/ cycle.
- Establishing traceability and coverage between the test artifacts.
- Test execution support – test run execution and status and screenshot capture.
- Metric collection/ reports and graphs generation for analysis.
- Setting up and maintaining anomaly management.
- Set up regression testing and orchestrating the test automation.
Some examples of test management tooling that are commonly used for SAP projects are:
- SAP Solution Manager
- SAP Cloud ALM
- Microfocus ALM
- Tricentis qTest
- Microsoft Azure DevOps
- And many more
Effects of test management tools
Some positive effects that a project can achieve by using test management tools are:
- Combining the ability of managing business requirements, test cases and anomaly management with traceability, coverage and insights in requirements that require additional attention.
- Reducing the total time of the testing activities of a project. Effective use of a test management tool can, when efficiently used, decrease the required time to create and execute all required test cases.
- Being able to assign test cases to different testers and track the progress.
- Test management tools can trigger test execution (tools), which accelerates test execution and generates the information about quality and related risks. It gives all stakeholders insights in the quality of the delivered SAP solution.
- Getting better coverage of the test cases and being able to give insights in the coverage of the test cases.
- Create real-time management reports with the progress of the testing.
- Able to reuse test cases for different test varieties.